Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Artistic Soul-searching


I call myself a mixed media artist, but I think this is mostly due to the fact that I can't stick with one medium.  I am so interested in learning how to do new things, new techniques, use new materials.

Last Sunday I took a knitting class and this is my practice piece.  I don't really know anything more than what you can see here: cast on, knit, pearl, rib, switch colors.  But I am really excited to learn something new.  I have another class this coming Sunday

The great thing about learning new materials and techniques all the time is that as an art therapist I can help a variety of clients use many different materials.  My basic knowledge of many different things helps them get off the ground, and since I'm not an expert in anything then I can feel comfortable encouraging to explore the materials on their own (without any internal need to "show" anyone anything).

The bad thing about learning new materials all the time is that I am not an expert in any material, and I think sometimes my artwork suffers as a result.  I don't spend long enough working something out, I just want to give it a try and move on.  I have a few projects in progress but once I feel satisfied with the technique I don't feel a need to explore it any more.

Well, we'll see.  I'm in a funny phase of life right now and maybe my disconnected art making is a reflection of that.  In many ways, I'm still trying to find my feet and figure out which direction I'll head in, both figuratively and literally.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks great. I'm excited for you about knitting and using it as a therapy tool.

    Funny, your "I just give it a try and move on" + "in a funny phase of life right now" statements really resonate with me. I think, like you, I'm very much in a transitional state and flitting around to different projects/crafts is a reflection of that. Also, in a weird way, maybe the flitting helps me cope with that stress?

    Anyway, very interesting, Robin.

    ReplyDelete